Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wordle

As I was checking out the links stored on one of my previous smart-phones, I came across a link I had saved quite a while ago entitled "Wordle." I couldn't remember exactly why I had saved this link, so I went ahead and clicked on it. Here's what I found:



I've noticed that recently various forms of word-art are becoming increasingly popular on the web. A quick search via Google on "word art" revealed a surprisingly diversity of images. I have even seen individuals advertising custom word-art creation for a small fee. As a writer, it should come as no surprise that I appreciate the aesthetic value of words properly arranged on a page.

What I like about this particular program is that for absolutely free you get a program that can create very professional looking word-art based upon any blog, blog feed, or any other webpage with an Atom or RSS feed, and it will weight the words it presents based upon the frequency that they occur. Or, you can even just plug in a long string of words and let it create one based upon that. So, naturally, I wanted to see what I could create for my own blog.



I quite literally spent less than a minute creating this particular image. The Wordle program has a whole slew of features, allowing you to change the colors, the orientation, the font, the overall shape, the number of words, and even the case of the words themselves. And once you have chosen your desired settings, you can generate the image again and again with the exact same settings until you find one you like.

The site also maintains an online gallery of these word clouds that others have submitted, which you can check out here

It's fascinating to me the words that stand out. Standard and Pauper should be no surprise to anyone, but I was intrigued by the emphasis places on creatures, new, deck, white, men, women, post,  Boros, and way. I'll leave it to you, my readers, to discuss the insights this gives you into the inner workings on my mind. 

On a more personal note, I have been quite busy as of late getting my house ready to sell, and as a result I have had little time to pursue much in the way of Magic or writing. Hopefully after this week things will settle down and I will be able to devote more time to my favorite pastimes. Speaking of which, it's time to get back to cleaning! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment