Dear Wizards of the Coast,
I was saddened and disappointed by your recent decision to remove the Standard Pauper filter from Magic Online. When the filter was added back in August of 2009, it was a major milestone for our community, and contributed to an immediate growth in the popularity and accessibility of the format. To see the format removed now would be a devastating blow to a community that has stuck by Magic Online through all of its growing pains during this ongoing transition to the new version of the client.
Standard Pauper contributes to both your company and the community in several meaningful ways:
- It gives new players a lower complexity format to learn the intricacies of Magic in general and Magic Online specifically before moving on to more popular formats.
- It provides an inexpensive way for players to experience the game without having to pay the expense of high-level formats such as Standard or Limited.
- Since it uses the most popular format as its base, there is relatively little additional programming needed for its infrastructure.
- It is supported by a diverse community of players who participate from all over the globe in weekly Player Run Events.
- It allows players to actually play in a competitive Constructed format with the majority of cards they receive through booster packs and Limited play.
On behalf of the 50+ players who regularly participate in Standard Pauper events and many others who play more casually, I urge you to reconsider your decision. Support the community who value the casual formats that you have pledged to uphold in the past. Don’t remove what has become my personal favorite way to play this great game.
George M Leonard