Saturday, January 4, 2014

Resolutions for Writer Adept

Earlier this week, I wrote about New Years resolutions in general, and specifically the right kind of resolutions for those involved in creative endeavors. I quoted from my brothers' blog three criteria for making New Years resolutions:

1. Create a measurable goal
2. Make your goal something you have control over
3. Boil it down to the most important.
4. Get help.

So the question I want to answer today is this: what resolution should I make for this blog?

Perhaps the most obvious goal would be to finally see the Standard Pauper format become a sanctioned event for Magic Online. That is certainly measurable, important, and something I would need help achieving. Problem is, in the end, I have no control over whether or not that occurs. I can certainly have an influence, but in the end I lack the ability to decisively act on that goal.

Another thought I considered was to set a goal related to my fantasy writing. One of the things I intended to use this blog for was to discuss my own endeavors to write and eventually publish fiction in the fantasy genre. But with all of the craziness of life over the past twelve months, this goal has taken a backseat to my Magic hobby. A goal for fantasy writing is measurable, something I can control, and something I can seek out help to accomplish. But it is really what is most important?

Third times the charm. Having rejected the first two goals, I decided on something I believe will actually push me towards both of the above goals. And it's this: create more content. This is measurable, within my control, something for which I can seek help from experts. Best of all, the simple goal of creating more content is probably the most important thing I can do.

So here's how that goal will play out in 2014:
  • I will post three blog updates instead of two. My goal will be to publish on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I actually already accomplished this one for this week.
  • I will submit and publish at least one article per month on PureMTGO. For January, this is my New Player Primer 2014.
  • I will write between 40,000-50,000 words in fantasy fiction.
There you have it. That is my resolution for Writer Adept for 2014. What about you? What goals did you make for 2014? I'd love to hear about it in the comments. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Not too far off from what I've got planned as well. Actually, your posting schedule kind of runs in tandem with mine: I had resolved to post to my Standard Pauper blog on your off-days.

    That way, Standard Pauper content can be produced on a daily basis, but it's not one guy trying to juggle that with real life stuff.

    Looking forward to seeing how your fantasy writing is progressing, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete