Monday, October 16, 2017

What's Up With Gwyned?

It's a question I'm sure many of you have asked yourself in the past couple months: what's up with Gwyned? I've been meaning to write this post for a while, but I kept coming up with excuses or other things to do. But I'm hoping that by finally being honest and open about my situation, I can begin to return to some kind of normal.

Back in June, I learned that my position was being terminated. The organization wasn't happy with my performance, and while many of my co-workers encouraged me that it wasn't really my fault, it still took a pretty big toll. I continued working in my position through the end of September, which at least meant I was collecting a paycheck and had time to search for other positions. But my emotional state was pretty low, and as a result, I stopped doing almost any writing or Magic.

I've made excuses about being busy, but the truth is that it's just been too hard. I've been diagnosed with depression, and I'm on medication for it, and it's helping. But emotionally, my situation is still so draining that it's hard for me to flex my creative muscles. It's easier just to distract myself with other things rather than try to create something. And even worse, I'm afraid that if I fail, if I don't create something good, if I don't succeed, it will just make these feelings worse.

But I'm going to try. That's why I'm writing this post. It's not going to be easy. It's not going to change overnight. But just avoiding the situation isn't going to make things better. So I'll have more content this week, and expect to see me on Magic Online playing in the league again as well.

So that's what's up with me.

3 comments:

  1. Dear gwyned, as someone suffering from depression for many years, I can tell you that you are not alone and that you are understood. It will quite possibly be a long road you have to walk to return to normalcy, but being open about the thing that burdens you is a great and hopefully relieving start! Get help, you will need it, and be confident in accepting it! Surround yourself with people that support you and do things that help you feel good about yourself! All the best from a long-time reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gwyned,

    I'm sorry to hear. Thanks for being brave enough to tell us your problems. Hope things get better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as the green spell common from HOU said to us, life goes on... its important to recognize the situation, i wish you strenght to carry on

    ReplyDelete