full spoiler is out for Magic 2014. Last time, I wrote about how the removal was shaping up in this set and how I thought that might impact Standard Pauper in the future. While a full review of this set will have to wait for a few days while I compose a feature length article over at PureMTGO, I wanted to post a few more thoughts about this new set:
1. Several 'goodies' are returning. There are quite a few good cards that rotated out of Standard that are now back thanks to their inclusion in this set. These include, in no particular order, Auramancer, Solemn Offering, Shrivel, Gladecover Scout, and Tome Scour.
2. Commons upgraded to Uncommons. Several other older cards have returned, but have been shifted from Common to Uncommon. These include Doom Blade, Spell Blast, Congregate, Darksteel Ingot, Accorder's Shield, and Shimmering Grotto. In an Expert set this might be cause for alarm. As is, I suspect this is simply WotC's renewed commitment to keeping the Core Sets as simple as possible.
3. Slivers playable at Common? There are six Common Slivers, plus Hive Stirrings, scattered between White, Green, Red, and Colorless. Between them they grant Vigilance, Haste, First Strike, Trample, and +1/+1. While I will withhold judgment for now, my quick guess is that they will be similar, but ultimately worse, than the Allies deck was in Standard Pauper back during Zendikar block.
4. Strongest Card? Probably Dawnstrike Paladin.
5. Best Build-Around Card? Without a doubt Advocate of the Beast.
6. Most Interesting Effect that Probably Won't See Play? That would be Zephyr Charge.
Anyway, as I said, more to come. Hope you enjoyed this quick peek at the new set. Anything of significance that I missed? Tell me about it, and I'll be sure it makes it into my article this week!
See you next time.