Thursday, December 1, 2016

Weekly Metagame Updates Might Be Too Much...

So for about the last five months, I've been dedicated my Thursday blog post to a weekly update of the Standard Pauper metagame, analyzing the data from our weekly Player Run Events to create a snapshot of what's going on. But as I sat down tonight to write today's update, I realized that the whole process feel like it's become pretty stale.

Why I am feeling this way? Possibly, this is simply because this is one of the longer stretches between the release of new sets due to the holiday season. Similarly, while there are still some interesting innovations going on, for the most part the metagame has become pretty stable, with similar decks making the playoffs each week. I suppose it's even related to the whole debacle with Self-Assembler, which most people agree is having a negative effect on the metagame as a whole. But for whatever reason, I think the time to write these weekly updates may be at an end.

Now that's not to say I won't be writing future metagame updates. But I think that once a week is probably too often. So how often would be ideal? Honestly, I'm not sure. If you have an opinion on the matter, I'd love to hear it! For the moment, I would think a monthly snapshot would probably be sufficient.

Also, I will probably take a break as well from my weekly Standard Pauper Deck Tech videos over on PureMTGO, at least until after the holidays. It takes a lot of time and energy to create those, and I don't want to burn myself out keeping up with the need to publish one every week. Probably twice a month would be a more healthy frequency. But here again, if you have some thoughts on that, I'd enjoy hearing them. Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for bearing with this somewhat introspective and rambling post today.

No comments:

Post a Comment