Thursday, April 24, 2014

AzAgCon with Journey Into Nyx


I'm not sure where the time has gone, but the Theros block is drawing to a close as Journey Into Nyx is about to be released into Standard. As always, with the release of a new set, I've been hard at work on my Standard Pauper set review. I have it on good authority that Part One will be published this coming Monday, covering all the mechanic cards and the different cycles at Common.

 If you've been keeping up with my blog for the past week or so, you know that I've been tweaking a deck created by Chris Baker known as Crouching Cipher Hidden Strings. Earlier this week I discussed my own version of the deck and why I made the changes that I did. Today, I want to talk about two cards from the new set that seem tailor-made for this archetype.

The first one is War-Wing Siren. While we've had a couple Blue Heroic creatures at Common, this is the first one that gains +1/+1 counters. While it may not initially look that impressive, Akroan Skyguard is proof enough that this card will be quite good. While not quite as cheap to cast, its increased Toughness makes it much more resilient. In fact, I would argue that Wingsteed Rider is actually a better comparison, and that card has proven quite strong. Combine this with Wavecrash Triton, and you have the foundation for a solid Blue Heroic deck that might even be powerful enough not to need much support from White. Either way, I will definitely be testing this out with my AzAgCon deck after its release.

The second card I am excited about it Ajani's Presence. While there is a whole cycle of these Strive spells at Common, this is by far the best. While not quite as good at protecting creatures as Gods Willing, it provides a boost to both Power and Toughness and, more importantly, allows you to target multiple creatures in a turn, potentially triggering multiple Heroic targets. I strongly suspect that this will see play in White Weenie after its release. For the AzAgCon deck, 2 is a bit expensive to cast off of only 20 Lands, and may require some additional tweaking to the mana-base. But this effect seems powerful enough that it is worth the cost. Again, this will be one I can't wait to test once the new set is on Magic Online.

How about you? What cards are you excited about? Let me know in the comments below. See you next time.

1 comment:

  1. That’s the reason in second card you had played about it Ajani's Presence. It provides a boost to both Power and allows you to target several creatures in a turn, possibly triggering multiple Heroic targets.Try visiting MTG Articles website to your list of choices

    ReplyDelete