Saturday, June 21, 2014

Triplicate Spirits

Last time, I talked about how the Convoke keyword ability was returning to Standard with the release of Magic 2015 and evaluated one of the best Commons to feature that ability - Scatter the Seeds. Today, I want to share with you one of the first new Commons to be spoiled from this set that features this mechanic. Let's take a look.

Triplicate Spirits is a Sorcery speed White Common that summons three 1/1 flying Spirit tokens onto the battlefield for 4WW. It also has the Convoke keyword ability. Back in Magic 2013, we had Captain's Call, that also summoned three 1/1s at Sorcery speed, but for 3W. Even at 2 mana cheaper, it was not considered playable in Standard Pauper. So is Triplicate Spirits better?

I would argue that it is. First of all, getting Flying on those tokens is a very big deal. Second, with Convoke, White can reasonably expect to get a one or two mana discount. Most of the time, you will get a much improved version of Captain's Call but at almost the same cost. Finally, at least until Return to Ravnica block rotates out, there are several decent cards that play well with tokens.

In fact, this card is surprisingly similar to Spectral Procession, which was an Uncommon back in Shadowmoor. To me, that bodes pretty well for this card.

Speaking of Convoke, let me pass on a useful tip I received from JMason on the PDCMagic forums this week:


That's a good thing to keep in mind when Magic 2015 releases online.

So what do you think of Triplicate Spirits? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. i am very glad you wrote about this card! I had the same thought regarding this and spectral procession!

    Also, in a round about way procession is the same cost (if you dont use white mana)

    I think tokens are going to be huge in the coming season and I look forward to casting this card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in Limited play it will be very good. It will fit in nicely to some Classic pauper WW decks.
    Standard will it used but it will take the right deck to abuse it.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete