Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pondering the Clan

In case you didn't know, there is a Magic Online clan dedicated to Standard Pauper called, appropriately enough, Standard Pauper Players. I am a member and enthusiast, although I have not been very active as of late. That probably needs to change, as I have been asked to take over the position of clan captain, at least for the interim while the previous captain is away.

Late last year, I wrote a special post for the Standard Pauper Players clan exploring a piece written by Patrick Chapin about what makes for a strong Magic the Gathering playgroup and explored how his concepts applied to this clan. I still believe that these tenets are the key to having a successful and influential clan, so if you haven't read that post, it would be helpful in regards to the rest of this post.

So here's the deal. I have been asked by the current captain to make my interim position permanent. In other words, I would become the clan captain  for the Standard Pauper Players clan on Magic Online. So the question is, should I? Specifically, there are several issues that I feel like I want to address before making that decision:
  1. Is it a conflict of interest for a host of a PRE to run a clan? This is probably the most important issue that I would love to get some feedback on.
  2. Is it even possible to fulfill the tenets of a good playgroup given the limitations of Magic Online? Again, if you haven't read my summary, please do so. I'd love to hear what you think.
  3. What kind of things would be valuable or useful to members of this clan? In other words, what do you hope to get from joining the clan? I have my opinions, but this is another area where feedback would be great.
  4. What responsibilities do you expect from a clan captain? Again, this is important to me. I don't want to commit to anything without at least some understanding of what I'm signing up for.
So this is where you come in. Please ponder the questions above and let me know what you think. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment