Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Simplicity

As part of my job, I get a chance to speak into the lives of teenagers. This week, I am going to be sharing with them about the ancient spiritual practice of simplicity. You see, we live in a culture that glorifies busyness and hurry. Despite all our technology (or perhaps because of it), most people have less downtime and more stress than ever before. And this is particularly true for teenagers, who face enormous pressure to distinguish themselves academically, socially, and/or athletically. So today I thought I would share with my readers 10 practices related to the discipline of simplicity:
  1. Buy things for function rather than for status.
  2. Reject anything that will take control of you.
  3. Develop a regular habit of giving things away.
  4. Don't give in to the pressure to obtain the newest, the biggest, or the best.
  5. Enjoy things without having to own them.
  6. Get outside and enjoy nature as often as you can.
  7. Don't purchase things you can't pay cash for.
  8. Let your words be honest and plain-spoken.
  9. Don't participate in things that exploit others.
  10. Don't get distracted from the most important things in life.
I think we could all use more simplicity in our lives. And yes, that is a deeply ironic statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment