Saturday, November 29, 2014

MtG Sealed Deck Card Generator

Although I rarely take the time to play anymore, I am a big proponent of the Limited format for Magic the Gathering. Indeed, one of the reasons I gravitated towards Standard Pauper in the first place was the similarities between that format and Limited.

With the return of Magic Online leagues in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, I found myself wondering what options existed to create a Limited-like experience for Standard Pauper. An obvious first step would be the ability to generate sealed decks digitally without having to actually purchase any packs. After some searching, I came across a useful website that does just that.

From the main screen, you pick whatever card set you want to generate packs for. For each set, the site supports not just creating packs, but even generates card lists for prereleases, fat packs, gift boxes, and the like. Once you've selected your options, you click "Generate my sets!" and you get a full-size card output for each pack. Even better, you can then export your results to a text file, allowing you to not only easily save your results but also load the sealed pool right into Magic Online. Here's a sample showing me generating a 6 pack Khans of Tarkir Sealed Pool:


So, this got me thinking: wouldn't it be fun to create a special league where each player generates a sealed pool using whatever combination of Standard sets they want, then cut out all of the non-Commons, and run a Sealed League. Even better, just like previous Magic Online leagues, you could even add an additional pack each week, allowing you to change your deck as you wish. With the ability to generate packs without cost, this would be a completely free experience.

What would you think of such an event? Would you participate? What potential problems might arise? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment