Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Look Back (the Power of Stories)

I started this blog two and a half years ago, and it won't be much longer until I have as many posts as there are days in the year. My readership continues to grow, generating over 4000 views in April, and my lifetime views are rapidly approaching the 100,000 mark. In many ways I have seen more success here than I would have expected, and I am so grateful to my community of readers that has made it possible.

Yet as I look back at the reasons why I started this blog in the first place, I see that I have neglected one of my primary aims: to work towards publication in the fantasy genre. In fact, it's been nearly a year since I even sat down to write anything that wasn't related to my work or this blog. And I am not satisfied with that.

Stories are powerful things. They have the ability to sneak past our prejudice, our preconceived notions, and our preoccupation with trivial matters and impart meaningful truth about the world and our place in it. Yes, stories should be, and always must be, fun. But hidden beneath the surface, stories have an amazing ability to impact lives.

I believe I have a gift when it comes to writing. And I don't want to neglect it any longer. Next time, I'll talk what I am going to do differently go forward. But today, I leave you with this clip from one of my favorite movie series, The Lord of the Rings:


No comments:

Post a Comment