Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Possible Future with Patreon

You probably noticed that no new content went up last week. Unfortunately, I was out of town with very limited Internet access, and my summer has been busy enough so far that I was unable to schedule any content to go up ahead of time. Sorry for that.

I have also been thinking a lot recently about the future of this blog. Its been quite a while since I've done much of anything related to writing, which originally was going to be a major emphasis. Instead, I've been splitting my posts between Standard Pauper content and game reviews (mostly board games, with a few video games thrown into the mix as well). In some ways, I feel like maybe I've lost focus, and as such I am not certain what direction I want to go with in the future.

One possible future I am exploring is the idea to start producing regular video content once again. But in order to justify the time and energy it would take to create that content, I would want the support of my audience and the Standard Pauper community. So here's where you come in. If I was willing to create weekly video content for Standard Pauper, would you be willing to support that via Patreon.

In case you don't know, Patreon is a crowd-funding site designed specifically for artists and content creators. When you support someone via Patreon, you pledge a certain dollar amount either per month or per new content piece (which can also be capped monthly). In turn, you get special perks for your sponsorship as well as a chance to more directly influence the artist or content creator. Want to know more? Click here.

Could you take 30 seconds right now and answer this simple poll?

Would you support weekly Standard Pauper content via Patreon?

Definitely!
Maybe...
I don't think so.
Poll Maker

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Find what you do, and do it well. You seem like a modern-day Renaissance man. Provide superior-quality content and audiences will follow. To this end, I offer suggestions about what I might hope to see from writeradept:

    (Note: I will ask myself: can I get similar or superior quality content elsewhere for less money? This is my litmus test for your website.)

    #1: Keep Standard Pauper actually Standard Pauper. Offering a vegan salad with eggs might showcase great creativity, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is actually a vegan salad. Uncommon cards included in Standard Pauper format per PDC rules makes finding MTGO practice matches next to impossible, unless chummy with other PDC players who tolerate a rogue Grasp of Darkness in a deck advertised as 'Standard Pauper' in the comments section. A video match of a PDC event might be new, but not to regular visitors to your blog who see and play against those same decks. A practice tutorial would be interesting, and a great resource for new players.

    #2: Skip set review drive-by shootings. You've invoked four different grades for cards that are too fluid to define your assessment as unique. Perhaps discuss the common (dual?) color archetypes, and make a sample deck that showcases (2? 3? 6?) new cards and write about that deck in 250 words. Again, a practice video might help limit writing demands.

    #3: Showcase what you already do with RPGs. I think this is a lot of fun, and am always looking to find new GM tips on various systems. This summer, my boy and I are running FF's Star Wars Force and Destiny RPG. We use Lego minifigues as our gaming miniatures. We tackle real-life kid scenarios as Jedi without needing to impose any real-world religious overtones of morality and being a decent human being (or wookie, as cases may be). Again, nobody does content quite like this idea, but I don't have time to upload our gaming sessions. Do you? Is this the writing opportunity you seek- provide written recaps of gaming sessions? Sneak peaks of maps and other handouts?

    In an email over a month ago, I offered you and Dr. Baker prize support for PDC events. I got no reply, so seeing a request for additional support feels like a slap in the face, man.

    Just provide unique, superior content, different from MagicGatheringStrat or GatheringMagic. Identify what YOU want this blog to be, and set a course for adventure.

    ReplyDelete