Saturday, February 28, 2015

Standard Pauper Meetups

Last time, I posted a quick update on the Standard Pauper Sealed League and looked at a comment by JMason regarding the difficulty of finding playtest opportunities for the league. As it turns out, this isn't just an issue for the league. I spent several hours yesterday trying to find practice matches for Standard Pauper, with very little success.

Prior to the implementation of the Standard Pauper filter, finding matches was always a problem. You had to use the Pauper filter and hope that your opponent checked the "Standard Pauper only" comment field. But when the filter came online, I had hoped those days were over. But with all of the fallout of the new client, so much of the casual scene on Magic Online has disappeared, and with it the ability to easily play casual Standard Pauper games.

One solution that I would like to implement is the idea of Standard Pauper Meetups. This would be scheduled times during the week when whoever is available would agree to get online and pair off against each other with Standard Pauper decks. And as soon as your match is over, both players would put up a new table and pair off against new opponents, and so on, for the allotted time span. The emphasis wouldn't be on winning, per se, but on giving everyone lots of opportunities to practice and play against a variety of decks.

So here's what I need from you. In the comments below, please let me know:
  1. What times and days of the week would you be able to get online and play for a couple of hours?
  2. Would you be willing to "host" one of these gatherlings? This would mean being online for the whole duration and explaining to newcomers what was going on.
I think this has the potential to be great for our Standard Pauper community. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Great idea and I ran into same issue, would build a STD Pauper deck but then hard to find options for battling. I'm best for any night (Monday through Friday) 10PM to 12 AM. EST Time Zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Gywned!!!
    I'm on line 15Pm to 22PM EST almost every day.

    And I'm told you that I can host some events. Didn't you see my email about that subject?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best times for me are usually after 6pm GMT-3, but as a freelancer currently I'm pretty flexible.

    @Jorge: I talked with Chris some days ago about your willing to host events, would you like to be a SPDC co-host like me?

    ReplyDelete